New moons and full moons are my favorite nights of the month, as both bring about change in different ways. While new moons are great for manifesting, full moons are about reaching a culmination point or closing a chapter of your life. The specific planetary alignment during each moon is what tells you the effect that each moon will have, so I was excited to start the research for this post, especially since Friday’s full moon lunar eclipse is in my sun sign of Pisces (and the eclipse is formed when the sun is in my moon sign, Virgo). Years that hold eclipses in your sign (or rising sign) are known to be landmark years, so if you are a Pisces, Virgo, Aries or Libra, 2015 and 2016 are your years!
According to famed astrologer Susan Miller, eclipses are some of the most dramatic tools the universe uses to get us to pay attention to areas in our lives most in need of change. They are like that friend who has to shake some sense into you to get you to take action! This is not a time for complacency. Eclipses want us to change.
Hedy Damari, BAZAAR’s resident astrologer, explains that lunar eclipses are often linked to crises of sorts. Relationships may be put to the test during this time as you explore your emotional needs. This doesn’t mean relationships will be broken. In fact, this is a time when they can be strengthened.
This is also a time of epiphanies, so as shifts occur, expect them to bring a deeper level of understanding to a problem and expect to be propelled to take action. While these epiphanies are likely to be sudden and enlightening, be careful to watch for aggressiveness and impatience, as this moon will bring out our inner brats.
The issues that come to the surface with this moon will not be new to you. In fact, these are issues that have been brewing for some time. By getting in touch with your feelings during this time, you’ll have a better understanding of what needs to change or – in some cases – what needs to go. Hedy writes, “Regardless of your situation, you’re bound to feel a great weight lift” – as though a tough part of the past has finally been released.
With all these heightened emotions, it will be important to take some time for self-care and reflection. Below are a few suggestions for maximizing Friday’s full moon all month long:
- Channel your inner mermaid. Celebrate the moon in water sign Pisces and rid your aura of anything that is not currently serving your highest good by taking a dip in the ocean. If that’s not feasible, try a bath with Epsom salts. Hedy reminds us that the key here is to be mindful while you immerse yourself, visualizing negative energy being washed away.
- Pay attention to your dreams. Pisces is the most intuitive sign of the Zodiac, so this week’s full moon will allow you to more clearly see symbols from the universe that you might otherwise miss. Pay attention to dreams, signs from loved ones or other “coincidences” (there’s no such thing as a coincidence!). If these don’t mean anything to you immediately, jot them down in a journal and revisit throughout the month to see if the meanings unveil themselves to you over the next few weeks.
- Get creative. Pisces is a super creative sign, so set aside some time to let your creative juices flow. This could be expressed through writing, drawing, painting, music or any other creative outlet that brings you joy. Or maybe you finally try one of those great DIY projects from your Pinterest board or break out that adult coloring book.
- Find balance through meditation. The Virgo-Pisces axis means we need to find balance in expressing our spiritual needs while finding order in our everyday lives. If we neglect either side, we’ll be living in complete chaos or excessive order. Meditate to connect with your higher self and bring balance to your mind, body and soul. Hold a relaxing blue stone like aquamarine, Pisces’ birthstone, while meditating.
- Journal and set intentions. According to Cafe Astrology, health or work issues may come to the surface during this time. Secrets about ourselves, including our deepest desires, will reveal themselves. For some, this may include a new work “calling” that will be discovered over the next six months. For others, you may realize there are things that are lacking in your life. Use this time to open your heart, reflect on what it is that really matters, and set your intentions for the direction of your life.
Understanding how this week’s full moon lunar eclipse will affect you, as well as those around you, will enable you to use its energy to help you move forward in the areas of your life that are calling for change.
If you’re interested in learning more specifics for your particular sign, check out Susan Miller’s monthly horoscopes. She gives detailed information on how the planetary alignment this month will affect you and the best days for making big decisions, and gives insight into the upcoming new moon on September 30.
Full moon blessings!
PS - Don’t forget to charge your crystals under the light of Friday’s moon! If you need some guidance on how to do this, check out this beautiful post by Ashley Neese: http://www.ashleyneese.com/full-moon-crystal-cleanse/.
Astrology Zone: ALL ABOUT ECLIPSES: A GUIDE FOR COPING WITH THEM
BAZAAR: What Does the Lunar Eclipse in Pisces Mean For You?
Cafe Astrology: This Week in Astrology
Darkstar Astrology: Lunar Eclipse Sept 16 ~ Info Wars